Friday 16 March 2012

Lift Heavy. Eat Meat.

I have tried every diet and training plan out there.  I've done keto diets.  I've done low carb diets.  I've done low fat AND low carb diets.  I've tried vegetarianism, veganism and raw foodism.  I've done the typical 6-meal-a-day body builder style diets.  I've tried cycling my macronutrients.  There's just so much out there to experiment with until you find what works for you.

Most recently, I was introduced to the world and philosophy of IF-ing, or, "intermittent fasting".  Popular diets such as the warrior diet, eat-stop-eat diet are all forms of IF.  Specifically however, I have been delving into the research and writings of well-known Martin Berkhan and his "leangains" approach.  You can check out his blog at http://www.leangains.com/.

The premise is to fast for a 14-16 hour period, and feed for an 8-10 hour period.  You typically skip breakfast (a lot of interesting research has been done on the benefits of skipping this meal), eat your largest meal post-workout with a higher amount of carbs, typically at night.  You also cycle your macronutrients, eating a higher percentage of carbs on training days, and a lower percentage of carbs and higher fats on non-training days.

Along with this eating methodology, your weight training is high weight, low rep, low volume, with little to no cardio (as cardio destroys too much muscle tissue).

It  has only been a short period of time that I've been following this protocol, but I can confidently say that I've definitely noticed some benefits and changes already.  And as a person who normally couldn't go an hour upon waking without eating something...the idea of skipping breakfast was a difficult one to fathom, but I have been successful at it and feel great.

Check out his info, and get back to me when you're done.  It's truly eye-opening and thought-provoking.

My favourite article of his is this one:  http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html.  It's a hoot to read and very, very true.

Until next time, stay fit and fierce!


1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work Iron Rose! It'll be worth the effort. Since I see you're a fan of fitness art I thought you might enjoy my cartoon character Quadra-Blu. She's the star of her own webcomic series that I self-publish at http://www.quadra-blu.com. You can also see my artwork at my deviant art page http://lymandally.deviantart.com/. If you like what you see please become a FB fan. Enjoy your bodybuilding journey and thanks for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete